I got a musa beccarii...

romando(9b/10a , sunset 17)December 19, 2006

any special care requirements for it? I got it for $2.00 at a local nursery! Couldn't resist, and it's about 3 feet tall.

Amanda 'romando'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

My experience is this one is real finicky. I have been growing Beccarii for 4 years and have yet to see it bloom. It almost did once but the cold got it right after the flag leaf came out. They suffer when temps get below 40 and die back quickly under 40. They are the last tropical to come back in the spring and seem to never reach the proper maturity during my 9 month growing season to bloom but I'm in Zone 9a; you should have a better chance in 9b or 10a. If you like ornamentals, then Musa Uranuscopus (Coccinea) is a must. Much more hardy and the bloom is much nicer than Beccarii.

Steve

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 9:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

They are tender, here they start to decline once you get several nights in the low 40sF or lower. They will die back and go dormant even with out a frost. Here too, they are the last to emerge in spring. They never start blooming until Nov. so if we get some cold weather early you hardy get to see the flowers. This year has been warm so far, they haven't started declining yet and they are flowering. Below is a link of a photo of one from last year.
Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

Here is a link that might be useful: Musa beccarii

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™