Hornet or Bee Problem

rsav2009September 28, 2009

please forgive my ignorance.. I have a nest of yellow & black bees or hornets ( large & fuzzy). They live in a hole in the ground under a wood pile, anytime you walk near the woodpile, they come out and fly in circles around the pile. They are VERY aggresive!!Looks like there are hundreds of them in there. How Can I get rid of them without getting myself killed? I can see the area they come out from. Thanks for any info, Ro

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

If you can avoid the area until late in the year, perhaps even into January, the colony generally declines and dies on its own.

In mild climates, some kinds can stay for more than a year. So you could call your county's University Extension Service office to ask what they do in your region.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myra-nc

Here is what I did... I was mad because I didn't know they had a nest there and got 8 stings... Woo.. Nasty. It hurt. Normally I would have poured some gas in their hole but didn't want to waste any gas so I waited until after dark. Boiled a large canning kettle of water. Took that out and poured it on that area. Next day I saw a few flying around their hole and did a rerun that night. That killed them off. They are evil and I wouldn't wait for anything except that evening and do them in.

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™