Help!!! Getting rid of aphids

diana55(z8a)December 17, 2005

Could someone tell me what the best way to get rid of aphids off my Banana plant.I have it indoors for the winter and it just started getting, these little green bugs.Any suggestions? Thanks Diana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snc299

Hello Diana....I have around 50 potted Angel Trumpets in a spare room of my house, last week I noticed aphids on about half of them...I searched on Googel for a cure, many different opinions on how to cure these little things....I used 1 tspn of dawn dish liquid in a qt bottle sprayer, I tryed this, but it didn't seem to effect them...So I added just a tiny bit more dawn, sprayed again and it killed all of them....There was no effect on the leaves....You may want to wait on other opinions here before you try this, I don't know what effect this will have on banana leaves....Merry Xmas, SNC299

Bookmark   December 18, 2005 at 11:20AM
diana55(z8a)

Thanks!!!! I will give that a try.They are multiping by the day. I hope it works,and I'll let you know.I heard that dish soap doesn't hurt plant leaves. Thanks again!!! Diana

Bookmark   December 18, 2005 at 2:01PM
jetstream(Z9b)

Try using a horticultural oil...it'll do the trick. Also, make sure you use a mild dish soap and not a laundry detergent type soap...Z

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 9:23AM
diana55(z8a)

Thanks guys!!! I used the dish soap and water,and it worked great!!!All the aphids are gone.I put the dish soap and water in a spray bottle and sprayed the whole plant good. I left in on for about 2 hours,then rinsed them off.Wow,it sure worked great!!!Thanks alot!!!You saved another Banana plant.By the way I sure love this forum,and all the intelligent people on it!!!Thanks again!!!

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™