finally extracting

tonybeeguySeptember 29, 2007

Yeah, I know it's late but we're finally cranking out some honey. I won't reach my wishful thinking amount but what will be will be. The honey has some good color and the flavors seem to be good so far.You can taste the difference between the honey from two hives that were side by side. Got 10 more supers to go. We pulled up front with a bunch of supers in the back of my pickup truck with a cap on the back. We got them into the house as quickly as possible and tried to control drips in the back of the truck by using trays to set the supers on, but within 15 minutes or so the truck was swarming with honey bees in the back and all around. I went out and moved it off the street back up into the driveway. It sure got a lot of strange looks from people turning around on our dead end street.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Good for you Tony!

I'm doing my 3rd.extraction tomorrow....not much anymore, around 4 supers.
All by hand with a 2 frame extractor.
I'm glad, no bees to fight with, as soon supers get pulled and blowed out, they will get covered, so no robbing takes place and it gets into the honey house right away.
Konrad

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 11:58PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

Hey guys. I've actually had a good year. I harvested almost every week, to keep a supply to sell at the weekly markets I sell at.

My last harvest was in Mid August, and I would have run out in another week or two, but I pulled in all the supers at a farm about a mile away, and some are not capped well, and they're all goldenrod. Nonetheless, I extracted two shallows or so, and got nearly 5 gallons. I have to extract the rest in the next day or so while the temps are up... then pull the supers in my own backyard... probably 15-20 supers.

Last year, sales were lower, and I ran out by Christmas. This year, up to Friday night, my sales for this year to date are 40% above the entire year 2006. I may still run out before spring, but with sales so much better, I've really done ok.

weather is drought punctuated by spotty rains, but hey, almost every downpour has been right over my head!

Not everyone around here is as happy. A farmer 12 miles away says they've had no rain since mid august.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 8:19PM
tonybeeguy

cc, It's funny how that works. Last year everyone in this area said it wasn't a good year but I did great. This year seems to be pretty good for everyone I talked to around here. A good combination of hot sunny days and the right amount of rain at the right intervals produced long lasting and pretty steady blooms. The hives seem strong and heavy going into the fall.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
First year raising Mason Bees...some advice if you please
So A buddy and I split an order of Mason Bees from...
dbobul
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Mythical Kingdom Kids Area Rug - 56-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Spiral Flower Garden Stool
$69.99 | zulily
Bradford Collection 24" Wide Schoolhouse Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Baroque Bed Multicolor - RN712
$789.99 | Hayneedle
Bramble - Tin Smith Kitchen Organizer in Multi Color - 25149
Great Furniture Deal