I got good answers, heres a few more

botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)November 5, 2009

Since I got a few clear answers from my last post, I have a few questions.

Since bamboo is a grass, is it sensitive to 2,4-d, my guess right now is no, it wont harm it. Saint Aug is the only true grass I know that gets killed by 2,4-d.

What other herbicides, if any, are ok with bamboo.

I took a clumping kind of bamboo [Bambusa malingensis (Sea Breeze Bamboo)], a 10 foot culm and cut it off. I then cut about 2 inches below each node, leaving 6 inches above the node. I then dipped them entirly in liquid rooting hormone. I then stuck them in damp-wet clay turface that is in a clear storage bin so the humidity is 95 to 100%.

Will I see these root and grow or am I going about this wrong?

Thanks for the answers.

The new bamboo guy,

-Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Herbicides generally do not work on bamboo. If they did, people wouldn't be so petrified about it's reputed ability to spread.

As for propagation, you can not propagate running bamboo from culms, but you can propagate many clumpers, like the Bambusas. Check out the link below for ideas. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambusa propagation

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 9:28PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

Ok, again kudzu9, thanks. What I have is a Bambusas, so my method should work? The only thing Im thinking is they may not root till spring time and that my turface is not packed. I keep filling up the void in the middle of the stem with water.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 10:06PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I'm not an expert on propagating Bambusas because they are a little too iffy to grow in my area. Propagation is always a crap shoot, but I think you have a chance of succeeding. I'd be interested to hear back from you on whether you succeeded. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 10:41PM
fredgpops(z9 N/ CA)

Your method is called double node propagation. I attended a class & this is what they taught: 1) only thick walled bambusas can be propagated via double node (textilis etc won't work), 2) cut 2 " below active node, 3) cut off branches & notch around the node, 4) go up to next node or 2 & cut again, 5) trim/prune branches & leaves but leave a few, 6) plant notched node a few inches below a combo of soil/mulch (heavy on the mulch), 7) keep moist/in shade. My hit rate is low. There are a lot better ways to propagate. Rgds

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™