Some info pleez...

plf333(z6 Ca)October 12, 2006

Hi, A friend has a couple old bee hives she wants to get rid of. I just wondered if I set them out in a field would bees be interested & if so would they be totally self sufficient? I would just put them out there & be done with em. They're on their own?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

Most (all?) states have agricultural laws controlling beekeeping either as a hobby or as a commercial endeavor.
Do you own the field? Are you in a "killer bee" inhabited area of California? (and are you ready for that potential liability?)
Since I'm guessing your interest may lie along a desire to have some pollinating done by the critters, it would be better to have a honeybee nest that could not be traced to any "man made" enticement or encouragement on your part (such as wooden beehives would indicate).

If, on the other hand, some wild stray swarm took up residence in some old hollow tree cavity or in the exterior siding of some old out building then you would have that saying made so famous during Watergate days: "plausible deniability" should the ag inspectors ever come nosing around.

Having, what would basically amount to abondoned beehives doesn't strike me as the smartest thing to do.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
Should You Destroy Hornet Nests?
Ok, ok, ok... I know this is a beekeeping forum and...
gaitten
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™