Pruning a potted P. Aurea (Golden Bamboo)

travelsfoNovember 27, 2009

I have some potted golden bamboos that are 15 feet tall in 24" square redwood planters. I'd like them to fill in more quickly towards the top. Can I force this by doing a bit of pruning on the lower stems growing out of culms?

Does it hurt to do any pruning at this stage? The bamboo has been in the pots for about 8 months and seem to be doing well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Pruning of the lower culms is unlikely to do much if anything except permanently reduce the amount of foliage. Bamboo do not grow like bushes and trees. The culms will not get taller or larger in diameter than what they are during the year they come up, and they will also not add branches due to pruning. The bamboo is doing what it wants to do, and you can't do much to influence it. You can prune whatever you want, but that growth will be gone forever, and you shouldn't expect to get new growth in another part of the plant as a result of pruning.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 11:23PM
travelsfo

Kudzu,
Thanks for the quick response. I will probably go about fertilizing and maintaining it and see what happens this Spring.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 11:51PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Proper fertilizer -- I use a handful of slow release fertilizer, like Osmocote, twice a year -- and proper watering is your best bet. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Need expertise in ID'ing please
We were just given a large stalk and root base of this...
msmorningsong
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™