wrong leaves?

basementherbalists(4)November 17, 2007

Last summer I bought a Black bamboo and it started spreading about 2 months ago. I have it in a pot right now, but all the leaves are very long and unlike the short fat leaves on the plant, I am wondering if this could be some other kind of bamboo. Thanks to any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

It is possible that you do have another type growing with your black, but I think that you would have seen some growth before now, as it would have died without some part of the plant being above ground level.

My black, and a few other phyllostachys of mine, sometimes put up 'thin' shoots that will also have thinner than normal leaves. Usually caused by stress in growing conditions, either a lack of water for a long period of time before shooting, or perhaps a lack of growing space as is the case when grown in a pot.

Kt

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 11:09AM
butterfly4u

THe "different leaves" is the rhizone.
It hit the side of your pot and grew up.
You have to plant your black boo in a REALLY big pot, such as a half barrel, and even that will keep it happy for about 2-3 years.
Black bamboo isn't the best species to pot grow.
I know, I tried it.
So, next spring, buy a half barrel and replant it.
Then, watch your boo grow! It certainly will!
GOod Luck!
Oh, by the way, if all of it's leaves fall off in early spring, like April, that is normal. They grow back fast.

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 9:09PM
basementherbalists(4)

well the pot I have it in is already pretty large barrel, and all the new clums are comming up in the middle, not on the sides. So I'm going to plant it in the ground next spring. thanks for all the help.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 4:33PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you're in USDA 4 it won't be hardy outside. But maybe you are saying you are in Sunset 4.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 5:45PM
lil_blosom

if u cut bamboo leaves, will they grow back, or continue to turn brown at the ends

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™