Certan for wax moths now available

thisbud4u(San Diego)October 3, 2007

I hope the owners of www.beeworks.com won't mind me advertising their site, but I just called them today, and apparently they have just received a shipment of Certan from Germany. Certan (actually, I think it's been renamed to "B401" or somesuch nondescript name) is the name for the type of BT that's effective on wax moths. I've heard that this stuff is hard or impossible to find in the USA, so I thought I'd pass along the info. From what I gather, you dilute the stuff 1:15, put it in a sprayer, and just spray the frames. One bottle (about $20) will do 100 frames, making it pretty expensive if you've got alot of hives. On the plus side, apparently it works both as a curative as well as a preventative. Hope this helps someone who has wax moths.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beelover

you can find it in the garden section at lowe's or at your local hardware store for a lot less. i've seen you advertise the exact same thing elsewhere.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 4:20AM
thisbud4u(San Diego)

beelover, for starters, I'm not "advertising" anything...just trying to be helpful, passing along the information. I'm not selling the stuff, so I don't make any money at all from sharing this info. I did cross-post this info on Beesource.com, but I did so with the same altruistic intention.

Secondly, no, you can't find this stuff at Lowe's, nor anywhere else that I'm aware of. Prove me wrong if you can (please--if you're right, that would be really great!).

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 6:48PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

As waxmoths only attack weak and dying colonies, why would you want to spend money treating what is essentially a good thing -- the composting of the wax (with the pathogens) if you're not going to bother keeping your bees healthy and queenright?

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 3:27PM
thisbud4u(San Diego)

ccrb, I've seen waxmoths attack healthy, strong hives. I think it's only a beekeepers's myth that they attack weak hives. Besides, weak or strong, if you have a sick child, you don't let him die, you try to bring him back to health. The same is true for a sick plant in your yard, you don't pull it out and plant another if you can more easily give it fertilizer or spray it for pests. This is especially true if the plant is worth something, or has produced nice fruit in the past. The mercenary attitude (if they're weak let 'em die) which I see among beekeepers displays, for me at least, a twisted misunderstanding of the husbandry of beekeeping.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 1:17AM
stan_gardener(cen ca)

ccrb is right in that a healthy hive can resist wax moth.
the mentioned product is used for storing comb (usualy honey supers).
theres a couple guys offering bizwai(sp) powder in the for sale section of the other forum mentioned.
i definately have a "mercenary" attitude. when asked what's killing the bees? my answer is the beekeepers.
too many substances are being put in hives that breed resistant pests and nonresistant bees.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™