Rye Rye Rye

goodluckkittySeptember 3, 2009

My hubby and I have a small grass backyard here in Mesa. We have a very large Mulberry (yuck!) that shades half the yard. When we moved in 5 years ago, we had St Augustine in the shade and Bermuda in the sun. Last October we planted Winter Rye for the first time, and I am HOOKED. We have 2 Great Danes, and they just loved it.

I stopped watering in May to let the Rye die and the Bermuda come back... but it didn't! The St Augustine didn't either. I have a couple of patches, but really, 70% of my yard is dead grass and dirt.

I have been raking up dead grass and leaves, and here is my question... I am due to have our first baby (!!!!) Oct 12th. The dogs HAVE to be walked 3X a day a week before the seed and for 3 weeks after the seed goes down. (Great Danes have BIG bladders.) All the websites online say don't plant until Oct, overnight temps 60, but the garden center said I can plant in 1-2 weeks but I have to water lightly 5-6 times a day. I won't be able to wait until October, because of the baby. (Well, maybe I could, but it would be a big pressure on the hubby.)

Can I plant in 1-2 weeks? Any advice?

Thank you in advance!!!

Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arizonny(z9 Tempe)

Rye grass will dye out as soon as the weather warms. You do no need to stop watering for this to happen. The bermuda, needs water. I have never had St Augustine so I can't speak to that but with the wear & tear that Great Danes give your grass, I'm quite certain it needs ample water too.

I watch the Big Box stores. When the seed and topping is stacked to the rafters, it's time to seed.

Is there any way you can cordon off a section on the yard for dog use only? At least while the Rye has a chance to sprout?

BTW. I have never watered mine 5-6 times per day. Maybe 3 times but usually twice.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 7:03AM
goodluckkitty

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear. I want to plant early so I can walk the dogs 3X a day in the park before the baby comes. There is NO way I would try to germinate grass with them even walking on it (BIG muddy paws!)

The little nurseries have rye, but I will check the big box too. Even if the day is around 100 you think I can water 2-3 times per day?

Thanks! Dale

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 2:40PM
neilaz(9a)

You can start the overseed in a week or two. A little soon but ok. You must keep it moist. When I do it early i will water 9 times a day for 1 min each. You can do 5-6 at 2-3 mins and be fine. The bermuda did not come back i would guess do to all the shade from the tree.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™