Queensland Bottle Tree

TrooperRatSeptember 8, 2012

I saw one of these at a home, it was a mature tree at least 20 feet tall. It had a bottle like appearance to it, hence the name bottle tree. But this is a Queensland bottle tree and it's base trunk gets REALLY fat! Very cool looking tree and the only one I ever saw was at that house. Does anyone else have one? I just bought a sapling off of Ebay and planted it straight into the ground (versus leaving it in a pot for a few years as I have read others have done with them). It is growing nicely and putting out new leaves. Hopefully will survive the upcoming winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Interesting tree. Doesn't sound like a tree for anyone without a lot of patience as it seems to take many years to develop its unique fat trunk. Australia seems to be the mecca for strange fauna and flora.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aussie bottle tree

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 10:55AM
TrooperRat

I've looked for a long time now and this was the first time I actually found a sapling versus everyone else selling seeds. I wanted to bypass the seed planting part and at least have something that is already growing, but you are correct, it will be a long time before it actually starts looking like an actual bottle tree. Like minimum 4 or 5 years and that's just at the beginning of it. But, I don't mind, I'm just glad to get something started. I am going to buy a couple of more and plant them around the property.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:24PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Congrats on the sapling. Any pics?? Good luck and definitely keep us posted! Happy gardening, and thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 8:01PM
richsd

Yeah, I took some seeds off a tree near San Diego. I haven't sprouted them yet.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:52AM
TrooperRat

Well, it's been a while and yes, it's a very slow growing tree. It's only a foot and a half tall but it is doing well. The recent frost didn't affect it at all. I guess it apparently has growing seasons.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™