Anyone grow Michelia alba???

debbym(phx az)September 27, 2005

Has anyone grown this tree/bush in the Phoenix area, or anyone know if it will grow here? I'd love to grow this plant, supposed to smell fantastic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharonlf(z10 AZ)

I don't have a Michelia Alba but I do have a Michelia figo, which is similar. This was my first summer for it. I kept it in a pot first so I could move it around until I found a spot that it liked. It does not like the hot sun but made it nicely through the summer in a spot that gets mostly shade with only a small amount of dappled sun. The Albas are hard to find and quite expensive.

Bookmark   September 27, 2005 at 10:44PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

I saw a M. figo on Logee's website - their prices are outrageous, but I guess they can ask it for a reason. I've also seen M. champak (the Joy perfume tree?) at mgonline, but they're out, now. I'd just like to smell one, just once!

Bookmark   September 27, 2005 at 11:18PM
judy_b(AZ zone 9)

I just looked it up on an other site. They say it smells like juicy fruit gum. $39 for a 1 gallon plant. Pretty expensive chewing gum.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 12:05AM
usha(z8AZ,Nscottsdal)

I am growing it in a container on the patio. It did well despite our summer. Has not bloomed yet however. JudyB..it does not remind me of bubble gum..it is more like a cross between jasmine and plumeria..to my nose anyway.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 6:58PM
judy_b(AZ zone 9)

Usha, where did you get your M. alba? A cross between jasmine and plumeria sounds very tasty!

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 8:36PM
usha(z8AZ,Nscottsdal)

unmentionable site!!

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 10:03PM
judy_b(AZ zone 9)

Rats! It was one of those $39 ones, then?

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 11:24PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Usha, I hope you keep us updated on your plant. If it can be successfully grown here (I mean bloom, not just alive!) I'd love to hear about it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 12:53AM
alba-mickey(San Francisco)

I have a 19 years old Michelia Alba tree. It is about 25 feet tall. Each year it has about 2000 very fragant flowers. The smell of the flowers a GREAT. I am living in San Francisco,Ca. I have the mickelia alba tree ground in mybackyard. Want to see the pictures and the flowers. Please email to me.
alba-mickey

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 2:32AM
phxplantaddict

azleatherking@aol.com has these for sale in PHX very reasonable prices

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 2:05AM
phxplantaddict

I've got a couple left of this years crop if anyone wants. BLOOMING!

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 11:49AM
jaspermplants

Where are you located, how big are the plants, and how much $? I might be interested.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:04AM
phxplantaddict

35th ave & Bell 15 gallon $99 Been through 2 complete AZ summers and winters. I will have some 5 gallon available this fall-winter at approx $69-79

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:35AM
jaspermplants

I would definately be interested in either the 15 gallon or the 5 gallon ones. Can you provide an email or phone #?

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 1:59PM
phxplantaddict

602-993-5540 Don

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 4:38PM
Michelia-Mickey

Yes, I grow my Michelia Alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco. That tree have been growing in my backyar almost f30 years and it is about 30feet tall. Each year it bloom a lot of very fragrant flowers. If want to see mrepictre of my lbra abla please email to me. Let me tell you a good news on my micheia alba, on June 2011 I airlayered my michelia alba andon July 16 2012 I discovered that the airlayered branch was rooting. What a surprise!!!

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 2:11PM
Michelia-Mickey

By the way here is my michelia alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco for almost 30 years and it is about 39 feet talls.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 2:13PM
phxplantaddict

Beautiful trees, hardy to the mid 20's. I have 32 of these, 3 in ground, 29 in containers. Extremely fragrant and easy to grow.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 4:46PM
Michelia-Mickey

Here is the rooting of my air layering michelia alba, that I air layered on June 2011 and roots showed up on July 2012.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 6:34PM
phxplantaddict

I dont think most people know the time and labor that goes into propagating these trees. If you want a mature tree that will flower soon you have to get a air-layered tree. Seedlings take a long time to flower.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™