Maple Sap Honey?

MacDaddy(z6a NY)November 23, 2006

I thought of something many years ago that I never got a chance to try. A sort of mad scientist idea. I used to live next to a guy who would collect maple sap and boil it down into syrup. It seemed to take a lot of energy. So I was wondering if one could feed the sap to bees instead and let them concentrate it. It might be too dilute so a little preboiling might work to get the concentration up enough for the bees. I wonder what it would taste like.

Hey don't blame me if your hive dies.

Regards,

Brian Macker

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I don't think honey bees would take the sap, you still need to boil it....then what? Feed it to honey bees?
You can try but I think they only take it when there is no flow, I rather have the girls get nectar from the flowers.
[Better Honey]
People mix honey with maple syrup and sell it as maple honey.
Konrad

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 8:47PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

Indeed, bees take nectar, not sap. And the sap doesn't keep very long, and it flows as winter ebbs, with nights below freezing... long before the bees are much active.

However, this is hardly an original idea. Decades ago, a spoof column appeared in "Gleanings in Bee Culture" presented this idea.

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 11:16PM
pvtpilot

Maple sap is about 1.5% sugar on average and has a shelf life similar to milk. I've mixed maple syrup with honey, added yeast and water... I call it "Maple Mead", my wife calls it "Tractor Fuel"

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 12:19PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

I have to wonder this: My honey, when it's carefully handled and bottled raw tastes so much better than the stuff in the stores, and is purer (I practice chemical free beekeeping), why would I want to mess with flavorings?

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™