Anyone have luck with daylilies in the valley

richsdSeptember 6, 2010

I've tried a few different varieties, but none have survived. Don't bother trying Stello D'oro- I've tried twice with no luck. I've heard the evergreen varieties are best for hot climates like ours.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

They might be called "full sun, drought tolerant", but that's in Pennsymvania and England.

In AZ, give them morning sun, afternoon shade and regular deep watering. Pamper them for the first summer until they get a good root system.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 9:58AM
lazy_gardens

They might be called "full sun, drought tolerant", but that's in Pennsymvania and England.

In AZ, give them morning sun, afternoon shade and regular deep watering. Pamper them for the first summer until they get a good root system.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 10:02AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I've tried a few several times over the years and they've all failed eventually. I know a lot of other gardeners who have had similar results too, LOL. They just don't do well here.

That being said, the beautiful Royal Palms resort in Phoenix has a few that bloom off and on all summer. They're in dappled light and look pretty good (they are the evergreen type as you suggested since evergreen types tend to not need/want as much winter chill as the deciduous types). Even so, they don't look as lusty as they do in the midwest etc.

Take care and happy gardening,
Grant

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 2:31PM
drmrsguild(9)

I have a huge bed of daylillies in my yard. I ordered several assortment of varieties from a couple different mail order nurseries a couple years back and planted them all in a row. They're literally in the middle of my yard, so full Phoenix sun. They get watered with the grass daily, and they have done great. This year, several of them produced babies along the flower stems, so I'll be potting those up once I get a chance.
The mail order nurseries that I ordered sent different qualities of daylillies too. Some were obviously older and some were less than the highest quality. But, all survived, with little to no babying. They bloom for me all spring and fall.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals....
newtoucan
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
Any backyard planting advice for a guy a long way from zone 3 ??
We just purchased a new home in the east valley with...
newfunction
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Mandevilla
Will mandevilla grow in Yuma? Part shade, sun
cruzer46
Sponsored Products
Cypress 57" Octagonal Walk-In Table
Fifthroom.com
24" Brown Marble Bathroom Vessel Drop-in Sink - NEW YORK WOOD
Living'ROC
Chooty and Co Duck Black Witches Hat Throw Pillow - HA9H950W
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Colonial Mills BN89R Brooklyn Indoor/Outdoor Braided Rug - Natural Multicolor -
$44.00 | Hayneedle
Ava Teal Fabric Walnut Dining Chair
bryght.com
Colonial Mills Georgetown Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug - Federal Blue - GT50R
$22.98 | Hayneedle
Colonial Mills Twilight Braided Rug - Federal Blue - TL50R024X036
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Colonial Mills Rustica Chair Pad - 15 x 15 in. - RU20A015X015
$24.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™