Sugar water keeps crystallizing.

gardenfairy50(z5 MI)November 11, 2012

I got a swarm on September 20th. Since then I have been feeding them sugar water hoping they will make it through the winter, I live in Michigan. But every time I check the feeder my water is always crystallized. I've tried 2 to 1 and 4 to 1. I was told to boil the water then take it off the heat and add the sugar and stir until dissolved, anyone else have any suggestions has to why it's doing this??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

It's getting cool now, even for your zone.
I find the best way to dissolve sugar is to bring it up to just when starting to boil but constant stirring until this happens, put hot water from tap first then sugar stir and put on heat.

Bees don't take it when it cools down too much, what I sometimes do is to feed in a bucket/upside down, inside a empty box over the hole in the hive cover, also put insulation around the bucket and over to keep warm or warmer from heat of the bees. [large population]

You might need to combine yours to make the winter, how large is it?
You could stack it on top of another hive with only the hive cover and screen over the hole or without hive cover, screen the whole top and put hive on top, you will have only a upper entrance which is OK. The lower hive will help to keep the smaller hive above warm. I you feel it's warm enough to open the hive, them I would put in a frame feeder, this will be best to feed bees. [warmer] I really don't like to desturb a hive this late in the season.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:17PM
JRG13

Use 5:3 weight, sugar to water. 4:1 will be tough to keep in solution, 2:1 can be tricky, but you need to get a really good boil on it to dissolve and keep it in solution. 5:3 works a lot better and stays in solution.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 6:47PM
rrleesb(8)

Probably a little late on this response, but look up candy boards. They are good to feed the bees in the winter.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
First year raising Mason Bees...some advice if you please
So A buddy and I split an order of Mason Bees from...
dbobul
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
efeuer
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™