Low chill tulips?

tugbrethilSeptember 19, 2009

Has anyone had experience with growing some of the low-chill tulip species--such as T. clusiana or T. saxatilis--in the Valley of the Sun? My own experience was brief and bitter, and I want to know if it was me, the bulbs, or the species that was at fault.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I tried and failed with T. clusiana ... but they were thriving at Boyce Thompson.

:(

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 11:20PM
tugbrethil

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Boyce Thompson is cooler than Phoenix, both winter and summer. My bulbs weren't much more than pea sized, but I've heard that these tulips have natually small bulbs. They grew a few leaves, but no blooms, and they didn't survive the summer. On the other hand, I've also heard that they bloom best when crowded, and I think I gave them too much water in the summer. In other words, still more info needed. :]

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 5:27PM
azcanner(AZ Zone 5 US Zone 9)

We gave up on tulips after watching them bloom when only 4 inches tall due to the heat and then die when summer set in. Tried them a couple of years. Replaced them with iris' which have been very nice.

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 11:44PM
magicgarden_az(Z9)

I'm in Tucson and a few years back I planted some ordinary tulip bulbs I got at some nursery. I had no idea what I was doing. They were planted in filtered sun-shade, on the south east side of the house under a big palm tree. They grew beautifully and came back year after year. I did nothing for them but water the tree. I thought this was normal. Every time I try to plant tulips in sun, even just morning sun, its a complete failure. No idea if the location was the trick - but I have noticed that everything grows in that spot, including English violets and pansies.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™