HELP! Tiny white flies!!!

cluelessnoobSeptember 23, 2007

Guys help! My yard suddenly over ran by gangs of tiny 1/4mm white flies in insane numbers. They seems to favor my lantana plants and swarm all over it, but they are everywhere!!!

What are those things and how i make them go away?

Thank you

Eugene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanotis_1(8b AZ)

They are, as you suspected....white flies! Lol! Anyway, they are super annoying, and the easiest way to lower their numbers is regular hard sprays with water, and you can also use insecticidal soap on the undersides of the leaves to smother them. That's alot harder than you think because lantana are usually huge and it's really hard to get under the leaves. There are lots and lots of other methods, like Vaseline on the paper plate trick, releasing or attracting predators (hummingbirds and green lacewings), using pyrethrin sprays, vacuuming them up, and others. Do a search of Gardenweb typing in "whiteflies" and you will get tons of results.

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 1:14AM
jkochan(Z9b)

Bayer makes a systemic insecticide/fertilizer combo that I started using last year and it works on a number of pests and whiteflies is one of them. I treated all my lantana except one with it to see if it would work. Only the one lantana had the white flies after two weeks. So if you don't mind using " Chemistry for Better Living" give it a try. I use the Rose systemic for everything , but I think they have a general one out now.

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 11:11AM
cluelessnoob

Is it this product?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/311W7JBYW6L._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for replies. I got some insecticide soap from Lowes and sprayed the heck outta all/most of my plants. Seems like numbers went down. I want them DEAD!!! ALL OF THEM! LOL They ruin my nice yard. I probably will do this product or more soap next week again.

Eugene

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 2:46PM
port_a_bella(z9 AZ)

try earth worm castings!!! the white flies don't like the way it makes the plant taste. plus, it's a great for your plants.

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Anyone tried growing a true Cedar (Cedrus) in the valley?
I tried growing two deodor cedars a few years ago....
richsd
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™