honeybees in the wildlife garden

kitteh(6 ohio)November 21, 2013

Bee houses for solitary natives look easy enough to make. Is there a way to make something cheap to attract honeybees to build a hive ?

I'd like to know the best flowers other than clover to attract them too ..... the native bees were everywhere but I only saw a few honeybees ..... are they just mostly gone ?

And from a permaculture ideology should one even be making refuges for non-natives ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hammerga

Yes you can attract honey bees to build a hive. A lot of people do it. You can read a lot about it and do everything right and it may or may not work for you. But if you have the time and can build a box it is worth trying. There are so many ways to go about this I am just going to say look at youtube videos building a bait hive or swarm traps. The Fat bee man are some of the best videos to watch if you want to learn a lot about bees. Bees are funny though you may do everything right with making a bait hive and find that the bees moved into an old tractor tire a few feet away.

I think you should catch and raise bees. I think the bees need us as much as we need them.

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 11:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

No, it's not that easy, by law, most everywhere you need to register honey bee hives, even if you have only one hive. Check with your local club first. European honey bees are very fragile insects and are in constant need for inspection for disease, pest etc. You need to learn allot in that aspect,..if not, your bees could infect allot of hives at your local bee keeper, whom might be he's livelihood.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™