Ever seen P Nigra (HENON) in yellow?

mersiepoo(6)December 22, 2006

But the older canes are turning yellow! I don't think they are dead, but it seems that instead of turning gray-ish, they are turning a bright yellow. I had waited 3 years to see the gray bamboo, am a little bummed out the nursery didn't sell me what I wanted. I would send you a link to the picture, but my digital camera has bad solid state technology and sucks my batteries dry if I leave them in the camera. When I get new batteries, I'll send a link to the picture. Anyone know what the bamboo might be? It's not the hardiest bamboo, I do think it's zone 7 (like the tag says it is). I overwintered the canes by using plastic so they wouldn't winter kill and I could see if it's really gray.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo ID is hard to do sometimes even with pictures; without pictures it could be any of a dozen. In any case, if those culms are turning yellow, you're correct...it's not henon. If you can get a picture posted some time, maybe we can actually figure out the species.

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 8:49PM
rfgpitt(z6a Pit PA)

Just about all the green Phyllostachys will turn yellow with sun exposure. Are you sure this is not the problem?

Bookmark   December 23, 2006 at 8:40AM
lkz5ia

Check out the below link. If this was just planted in the last couple years, it will not have grey culms. That culms with age. rfgpitt's statement sounds the most logical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous henon talk

Bookmark   December 23, 2006 at 11:09PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It's true that many Phyllostachys turn yellow with strong sun exposure; I've just never seen that with henon...but that may just be me. I suggest that you check out the pictures at www.bambooweb.info to see how that compares to what you have.

Bookmark   December 24, 2006 at 3:41PM
mersiepoo(6)

Hi everyone! Thank you for replying to me. I still haven't gotten batteries yet. I did find a neat bamboo that I may try, it's called 'tiger'. Supposedly it gets black spots on the culms that appear a few months after it shoots up in the spring. So at least you don't have to wait so long (or forever, maybe!) to see the interesting mottling. I know it's not black or gray, but it's different! It is zone 7 however, but even if it winter kills, it'll come back and you'll get some tiger bamboo to enjoy for the year.

RFGPitt, the sun exposure may be an issue, because it gets full sun and is not shaded by anything (other than itself). If we don't get subzero temps this winter, hopefully I'll be able to figure out if it really is henon or not. I am suspicious that it may be an aureosulcatus (sp?). I'm just glad it's growing for now, I may try to get a fast growing variety (like bisetti or something) to cover up our view of our neighbor's dump.

lkz5ia, thank you for the link to the past conversations about henon! :) The more info I can get the better. :) I love the colorful bamboo so much!

kudzu9, Thanks for the link to bamboowebinfo! I'll be checking those out for a new cultivar to buy!

When I get my hiney in gear, I'll post some pics of the 'boo.

Have a great New Year everyone! Thanks for the advice and info. It is greatly appreciated.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostachys%20nigra%20'Bory'.htm

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Using plastic container as barrier
Greetings, Do you think I can use plastic container...
Late Sound
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
What is the DEAL?
Last autumn, I split off some young culms from my main,...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Porcello Grey/ Yellow Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Copper Turbo Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Greek-Key Maze Rug 8' x 10' - YELLOW/WHITE
$1,929.00 | Horchow
C and F Enterprises Adirondacks Bedding Set - CFID210
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Upbeat Yellow Terracotta Currey and Company Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Shaggy Raggy Yellow Rectangular: 4 Ft. 7 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$418.00 | Bellacor
Ango | Elfin Tree Table Lamp