how to provide homes

ellix(augusta ga)December 14, 2006

I am wanting to provide homes for bees in my backyard. It is large and full of trees, many flowering shrubs, many flower beds and a pond. I started the beds with butterflies in mind. I was very pleased with the numbers and along with the butterflies came what seemed like thousands and thousands of bees. I worked beside them all summer and they never bothered me. Now, I couldn't tell the difference between a honybee and a bumble bee but started reading about them and found how important they are and how they need homes. My question is what can I do to help? I have read about a box you make with a block of wood and by placing holes in it to buying the big boxs and learning about honey bees. Can anyone give me ideas and experiences. Also, have read about their need for very early spring plants to provied food for them. I live in Ga, zone 8 and would like some suggestions about what they really love. I thank you for any advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisbud4u(San Diego)

Here's a start. I did a google search for "beekeeping georgia" and came up with the Georgia Beekeepers Assocation:
http://www.gabeekeeping.com/
They'll be able to provide you with the very best advice.

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™