pollen question

danglesAugust 19, 2013

how do u store pollen for later use my papillio is about to flower but nothing in flower to put it onto what is the best way to store the pollen regards and happy growing Danny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Hi Danny,

What I do is just put the pollen in a little dish and dry it for a few days (Inside of course) then I just put it in one of those little plastic baggies and keep it in the fridge. It will keep for several months, maybe more. I'm sure there are many who save pollen besides myself that will share their methods also. Good Luck as papilio on some of your Maguires as well as some of your own creations should produce some gorgeous blooms if they take. I never seem to have any papilio at the right time for my Maguires but have been successful with several others.

I know you can also freeze your pollen but I've actually never done that as I always use my papilio pollen all up way before I need to freeze it!

Donna

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:46PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I store mine in hard gelatin capsules. They are just the right size for dipping the stigma in. I keep them in a little container with a desiccant packet in it to keep the moisture down. They are in my refrigerator.
K

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:36PM
dangles

thank you for your help very timely it has opened up today regards and happy growing danny

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:21AM
dangles

thank you for your help very timely it has opened up today regards and happy growing danny

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:23AM
dondeldux

One more thing Danny which I'm sure you already know since you're not new to this... if your plant is outside just make sure it doesn't get rained on before you harvest the pollen...;-) Many times I will pick the pollen sacs before they actually open (especially if I am going to hybridize on that particular plant) and they will open in a few days in your dish....Donna

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
pink amaryllis
I've been going through a pink phase. Here are some...
chinhster
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™