OT: Bird new to yard

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)September 6, 2012

This little bird has been around for a week, maybe two. It's the only one like it in the entire yard and I've never seen it before. I plugged in about every description I could and came up with an ID! It's a Black Phoebe and it's very pretty. I never see it before late afternoon when it sits on a coil of leftover fence material and watches for insects. The description says it's a flycatcher and is almost always found around water, so I don't know what it's doing here. Perhaps it got blown in with the big storm? Has anyone else seen one? It's the bird on the left in the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Phoebe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

How cute! Lucky you to have one in your yard. :)

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:55PM
piranhafem

I had one visit my yard once! I'm a birder, and I see these almost any time I go birding around water. Many birds wander a bit this time of year, even if they don't migrate; they are dispersing from their breeding grounds, and/or establishing new territories for the winter. If you have no water close by, your little visitor will probably move on soon. Enjoy him while he lasts!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 3:58PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

You'd think if was part of a migrating bunch, there'd have been a few more. He was the lonely one and I think he may have moved on. I didn't see him yesterday - and felt sad. I grew up where there were soooo many different songbirds and I'm always delighted when something other than a sparrow or dove shows up.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 4:23PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Neat! I love Phoebes and see them on occasion in more irrigated parts of the Valley. Hopefully yours is fine and happy. Thanks for sharing it with us! Happy gardening, and happy birding (which I'm trying to get better at!), Grant.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™