Dragonwing Begonia Seed Harvest

daisyb(8)January 22, 2010

I need help to correctly identify where the seeds are located on the Dragonwing Begonia. I have found what looks like a seed. It is located on the spent bloom. The closest description I can make is that it looks like a piece of dried oatmeal! This is still attached to part of the brown bloom. If this is the seed, do I cut away the spent bloom or leave it attached when I plant it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

I've read that Dragon Wing begonias are sterile so no seed will be viable if it even makes seed.

This article gives some clues on the background of Dragon Wings although some of the spelling is wrong.

Dragon Wings popularity

Here is what a seed pod should look like and the seeds will be very tiny. The seed pods are off two different begonias - one a cane and the other a rex.

These are the individual seeds close up. The dimples in the paper towel give a good clue as to how small the seeds are.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daisyb(8)

Thank you so much for the information hcmcdole. The article was also interesting. I guess I'll stick to rooting cuttings from mine. They root very easily in water and in potting mix.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
So i can stick a leaf with stem into soil to root? correct?
I failed at trying to root leaf cutting in october. I...
tlbean2004
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™