Please help me with my Bamboo!!

mikeenrightDecember 20, 2012

Hi!
My wife and i bought our first home a little over two years ago in seattle. We had a long row of bamboo that went along the fence between our neighbors house and ours. the bamboo was too overgrown so i cut it back and down to the height of the fence. It has never grown up any taller and i would love to have that bamboo grow back to its original height so i do not have to look into my neighbors window.

How do i make my bamboo grow higher? Is it possible?
THANKS!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Once a bamboo culm(stalk) is cut, it will never grow taller, it will remain at that height though some of the limbs may grow a bit higher.

Next years culms will grow as tall as the ones you cut last year before they were cut back, maybe even taller depending on a few factors, so you need not worry, just might have to wait until next shooting season.

Kt

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 8:46PM
mikeenright

should i remove the culms that are thickly short so that the new shoots have room to grow high?

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 1:39AM
kentuck_8b(__)

No, I wouldn't, at least not until the new shoots are grown and leaved out, otherwise you will be taking away the growth that helps produce food for the new culms/roots/rhizomes.

Kt

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 12:55PM
mikeenright

is there a fertilizer that i could put on the bamboo to help it grow faster this spring? or is sun and rain the only hope?

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 2:05PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

A cup of standard grass fertilizer may help a little in the spring, but it will not give you hugely different growth than what will occur naturally. Either give it some fertilizer next year and then let it do what it is going to do, or just let it do what it is going to do. At this point, there is little more you can accomplish by fiddling further with it...at least of a positive nature.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 19:04

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™