Begonia

nrmb(z3 wiMother)January 16, 2005

I just brought up my begonia (angelwing I think) from the basement and it already has started to grow. I didn't take my bulbs out of the soil so I have light deprived, white stems. Can I cut these off or are they the only ones I'm going to have.

I wish I would have checked on it sooner.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

If it's a cane (Angel Wing) it doesn't have a tuber, and if you've got light-starved shoots you'll need to be careful about getting it into the light it so desperately needs to keep it from burning. If you have fluorescents that might be the best treatment, and then move it into brighter light gradually. Cane begonias can take quite a lot of light, including some sun, but would need to be acclimated. If you're gentle with it you should get new shoots at the base and if the ones you have now don't get looking better you can indeed cut them off, but i'd wait until some new growth shows up to do that. In the future, treat it like a regular houseplant and don't expect it to go dormant, as they really don't want to. They make great houseplants all year around.
Another Nancy

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
Anyone Know Anything About 'Phoes Chloe' ?
I've had it for at least 8 years - it died back during...
westy1941
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™