My begonias didn't form tubers?

jeh1856pa(5)January 20, 2008

Last year, I started Non-Stop Rose Petticoat begonias from seed. They grew and flower very well. At the end of the summer, when I took them out of the pot, the hadn't formed any tubers. I waited until a light frost to dig them up. The instructions specifically say to save the tubers at the end of the season. Why didn't they form tubers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

I thought I heard once that it can take longer than a year for them to form tubers. Not sure if that's true or not. Did you dig up the roots (without tubers)?

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 11:03AM
jeh1856pa(5)

I dug them up, but when I didn't find ant tubers, I pitched them. I have new seeds sprouting now.

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 3:39PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I've grown Begonias from seed several times and it's my experience they don't even start to form their tubers till quite late in the season. I grow my Begonia seed in flats and when they are big enough they're replanted in flats about 3 inches apart. They stay in these flats and grown on as long as possible, I will even put them under florescent lights and keep them going for as long as I can. I've harvested tubers as large as 3/4" to some down to the size of a match head. If you can keep them growing through their second year I think you will find you have better success.
A......

Bookmark   January 26, 2008 at 12:28PM
jeh1856pa(5)

Thank you. After doing some more research, this is exactly the answer. I put these in pots, so I will just bring them in before frost and continue to grow them.

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 9:32AM
geoffp(UK, NI)

In my experience, seed raised Begonias have formed quite good tubers when dug up at the end of the season. The odd one doesn't but most do, in fact I grew some Pendulas from seed sown last January. When taken out of their containers the largest was a good 2" in diameter and the rest about an inch and looked viable for keeping another year. One thing is clear the tubers only put on size when the days are getting shorter with lower light levels

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 6:27AM
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

So is it the level of lighting which promotes the production of tubers?
What if I bring them into basement and light them for only a few hours each day?
Would that promote the growth of large tubers?

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Newly bought a Rex Begnoia -
This appears to have smaller leaves. I had these before,...
jujujojo_gw
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™