Finally Planted seeds

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)January 14, 2012

I bought a light set up and seeds for begonias and coleus last winter, but got busy and never planted them. Now I'm in a new house with more space in the basement and much more shade in the yard. So, I got the lights set up and got the seeds in dirt today.

The planting instructions recommend 80 degrees F and suggest bottom heat. Can anyone comment on the difference in results with or without bottom heat? The light stand has a plastic cover that will keep a little of the heat from the lights in. I could also plant another shelf worth of coleus beneath the begonias and let the heat from a second, lower tier of lights act as the bottom heat. Though I wouldn't have the lights on 24/7. Any thoughts?

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

If you have a cold space then use bottom heat but if you have a moderate cool to warm space then I doubt you need bottom heat. Bottom heat often dries out your potting soil faster than you would like.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 4:49PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll just go with the lights for a month or so and see what kind of germination I get. If I don't have good results, I'll put some heat underneath.

Martha

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 8:45PM
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

I have a cooler room that I germinate seed in. I have always used lights and bottom heat for my begonias long enough for the seeds to pop (which sometimes can be tough because they are so incredibly small!). Then I turn off the bottom heat and use lights (which can get pretty warm too, btw).

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™