Sisso & chitalpa trees is Tucson

bgdaSeptember 21, 2008

I am looking for experiences with sisso & chitalpa trees in Tucson.

Do Sissos typically have invasive roots? Winter of 06-07 was pretty tough and lots of plants wre damaged. I live near Ina & Thornydale area. Your thoughts, please

I saw a failry mature chitalpa at a nursery this week (9/18/08) and many of the leaves had brown patches - like sunburn?. Is that typical for the Chitalpa?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

The frost tolerance of Sissoo is much lower than that of the Chitalpa. Sissoos can be damaged at 26 degrees while Chitalpa is hardy to 0 degrees.

Chitalpa often show symptoms of salt burn with brown edges on their leaves. Deep watering should help push any accumulated salts below the root zone. The addition of soil sulfur will help to reduce pH a bit which should also help. The leaves on mine look best in spring, declining a bit as the summer goes on. Each year its blooming period gets longer and it now flowers through summer and fall.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgda

Thx, aztreelvr. What about the 'invasive' roots of the Sissoo? I have heard varying stories. Most seem to be concern rather than real issues. Thoughts?

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
"Mouse ear" pipevine, Aristolochia watsonii
Hi everyone, I noticed one of my "mouse ear"...
grant_in_arizona
Gardenia help needed
I have bought a potted gardenia plant from Home Depot...
moutia_k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™