sarracenias not going dormant

Alyss(Z 10 CA Coast)January 14, 2007

Hello,

Although the night time temps in my area have remained between 38 to 45 degrees, my sarracenia Judith Hindle and cobra lillies have still not gone dormant!!! Just a little browning of the outside pitchers, but new growth in the middle still going strong. The daytime temps have averaged in the 60's.....Is this combo too warm for dormancy?

If so, I have an extra refrigerator I can put them in....If that's a better option, What temperature should I set the refrig at, and how long should I leave them in there?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wfike(8, Atlanta, Ga.)

I can't help but the guys at the link below can answer any quesion that you have! They are the greatest and love to help!

http://allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=4&expID=65271&catID=711

Here is a link that might be useful: Ask Sarracenia Northwest a Question about Carnivorous Plants

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 8:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarthkin(6-7a)

Dormancy for Sarracenia is a relative thing. Many hold their leaves all winter. It isn't something to worry about.

You may also notice your pitcher plants making curved flat leaves instead of pitchers. This is a typical behaivor in the winter.

In fact, many CPs including VFTs will still photosysthesize during the winter on days when it gets warm enough. That's why I also don't recommend cutting your plants back until late winter, and to reserve mulching with pine needles for only the coldest parts of winter.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
large urn without drainage hole
I was given a very large red ceramic urn. I am at a...
kitasei
rotted logs for peat in bog garden
I have a non-working pond with a liner covered with...
kitasei
Need help with my sumersible pump.
My Shinmaywa submersible pump is pumping less volume...
judgebes
How do I plant elephant's ear?
I am planning a small bog this spring made from a large...
sven556
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™