Best cheap hardy bamboo for ohio

josephfernwaltDecember 16, 2009

What is the best cheap hardy bamboo I don't really have any prefrences on runner and clumper. also does anyone have any for sale or know were any is for sale for cheap.

I live in ohio.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

What are your plans for the bamboo? Single plant? Grow it in a pot? Hedge? Visual screen? Color? Height?

Kt

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 11:20PM
josephfernwalt

All of the above and then A grove I live in the country in have a lot of room. I cuurently only am working (or trying to work with) moso. Anyway I don't wouldn't mind black (nigra) buddha belly and blue bamboo. Also I know about all the runner bamboos. If i could get a hold of some nice size moso plants or rhizomes that would be a dream come true. So really i'm looking for anything hardy. Or if your not looking to trade or sell if I could have some advice on what's good for my situation. Any more questions i'll be glad to answer.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 12:33AM
alan_l(6)

What's "blue bamboo"? The common names for different species are always difficult, as what somebody knows as "blue bamboo" may not be the same as what others know. If you're really zone 7, then from what I've read you may have a chance to get some relatively decent size out of moso, but if you're not warm enough it just won't size up. If you want big culms, there are some other Phyllostachys species that can get pretty large too. Phy. makinoi, or Phy. nigra 'Henon'. Although I'm growing these, they're young divisions so it will be a few years before I know how large they'll get for me (a bit colder than you it seems).

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 2:28PM
josephfernwalt

By blue bamboo I'm refering to TEXTILIS.
Also even though i'm in ohio I checked my zipcode for USDA
hardiness zone and it said I was in zone 6-7 which is a micro zone. It also said I can grow all plants that can grow in zones 6 and 7.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 4:07PM
deltaohio

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' growing in N.W. Ohio, I'm about ten mile south of the Michigan state line.

Frank

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 2:23PM
inversa

I'm pretty sure that Textilis, Buddah Belly would both be killed back to the ground before Christmas each year anywhere in Ohio. This annual whacking keeps them very tiny.

I'm in southern Indiana and planted out some Buddah Belly 4 years ago as I was tired of them as huge houseplants and curious how many years they'd come back before finally dying off. They were planted as 25 gallon pots with canes about 15 feet tall. They usually are killed back by the first temp in the teens in November. The 3 springs after planting them they still produced new canes in May but are now about 3 feet tall at best. Curious to see if they come back a 4th time, already killed back again this year.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™