need ID

miketropicDecember 25, 2012

this is the grove of an inlaws I can use to get some of my own. grove is about 15 years old. I would say 100' by 100' easy. most culms are around 20-25 ft tall and I am having a hard time finding smaller ones to harvest. the grove is very thick to a heavy runner I assume. cold hardy -5 easy. don't know what type it is though. any help and what to expect out of this type? I took some tiny shoots in the fall and there getting along ok this winter but Id like to get some big canes and get a good green screen started.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miketropic

the whole grove

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 10:59PM
miketropic

another pic to large to fit my hand around

This post was edited by miketropic on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 23:02

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:00PM
miketropic

last one

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:04PM
stevelau1911

That's phyllostachys aureosulcata "yellow groove" bamboo, and it is the most common type in the northeast. This is more of a screening bamboo to fill in an area fairly quickly, and for bamboo, it doesn't really produce big canes as the size limit is typically under 2 inches in diameter.

If you really want size, then there are many bamboos that can get into the 3-4 inch range if you are in zone 6B-7. This includes, nigra henon, dulcis, prominens, vivax, iridescens, viridis, and a few others.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:34PM
miketropic

If I could make my own bamboo..probably yellow cane, green stripe about 4 inch around and 10-12 ft tall..anything in the world like that out there.. I'll look those up you mentioned and maybe find a few to plant in spring.

I am quessing this yellow groove spreads really fast and sends up tall culms soon? Id like the tiny ones I already have to send up some good shoots so I wont have to transplant as much in march. thanks alot steve

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:01AM
stevelau1911

This type does seem to be one of the fastest spreading bamboos, and it will put up decent sized shoots pretty soon.

Bambusa ventricosa, bambusa vulgaris wamin, and moso heterocla may have to potential to reach great diameters and stay fairly short, but that wouldn't be possible on most bamboos that would thrive. Perhaps the type that has the least height with a huge diameter would be phyllostachys Shanghai 3, and I've seen it at nearly 3 inches by 25ft.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™