Dividing my papyrus

sandywood(z9 SoCal)January 24, 2005

I've got a papyrus plant that I have next to my pond and I've noticed it may need to be divided. It's starting to send new grow out over the edge and I'm not sure the best way to approach the situation. I never thought that it could be a pond plant before and I'm wondering if I should have just planted it in the pond in the first place.

Looking for info on just how to divide or separate this baby.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

This does make a good pond plant. It grows out from the center, and then the center dies, requiring dividing repotting every year- twice if it is in a small pot. But as you can see, it requires digging and dividing in the ground, too. No special care needed for this baby- just take a sharp knife and cut out the good parts and discard the old stuff. It'll look great again in no time!

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 7:27PM
sandywood(z9 SoCal)

I think I'll keep it in a pot for now, thanks for the recommendation. I've noticed that the new growth comes out of the corm-like growths that seem to daisy-chain out from the plant center. How should I handle those? Cut them off and plant each one?

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 7:35PM
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

In the pond, those new growths would have roots already. You should be able to cut them with a sharp knife, put them in water and wait for roots. It shouldn't take long.

Bookmark   January 27, 2005 at 2:49PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I have papyrus in a pot in my pond. It grows tremendous roots. Because I live in zone 5, Ontario, Canada, and we are subject to VERY COLD weather, I have to take it indoors for the winter. So, - I lift it up (pot and all), trim off the roots, cut it back, and place it into a 5 gallon pail. In the spring, I take it outdoors, chop off the pot, cut the plant into 3, repot, sink one into my pond, and give the other 2 away to friends in a trade for something else. It is a sytem that works well,- the papyrus is happy not to be too crowded, and I usually get other pond plants or tropical plants with which to amuse myself during the summer.

I should add that when I take the papyrus indoors, it goes directly in front of my sliding basement door and gets a southern exposure, resting between my hibiscus trees. By spring time, it is often up to 5 feet tall. These can be trimmed back, but take the tops, trim the leaves back to about an inch or so, and drop them into good potting soil. Soon, you'll have even more plants .....to trade with your friends.

The system continues, and you are the winner.

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 6:10PM
PRO
it'sALLart

wow, i do the same thing, but i've been throwing all the tops to mine away every spring... i might have to become a papyrus farmer! i take mine, snip off all tops, go outdoors and cleave it with a shovel into quarters and make 4 from one. they are one tough plant.

one warning about bringing them indoors (especially right next to a hibiscus!) is how bad they seem to be "carriers" of spider mite.... i always give mine a good dosing of soap-water mixture to make sure they don't give the rest of my plant room an infestation, whether i see evidence or not.

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 6:14PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Interesting. I have mine beside my hibiscus trees, and have not had spider mites at all. Now, on my brugmansia...they are surely spider mite carriers.

Bookmark   February 6, 2005 at 3:52PM
philperry

We have recently moved to the Dominican Republic and my wife planted papyrus plants in pots around the swimming pool. The plants are sending out shoots horizontally and we wonder if we can cut them and plant them in soil without spoiling the shape of the original plants. How do we cut and replant them for the best results? Many thanks in advance to anyone with an answer for us.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 4:58PM
THEMASSAGEMAGICIAN_GMAIL_COM

When you say ''divide'' the plant, do you literally mean to take a knife and
cut down in between the roots to the very bottom if the plant? Or does one
pull it apart? At what diameter of the whole plant is the best time to divide?
Please accept my apology for my ignorance on this subject, but this is new to
me. I am in Oceanside, San Diego County, Southern California, USA and I am
so lucky to grow almost anything all year around, but I am clueless on this
beautiful Papyrus and I want to do all I can to help it thrive. Thanks to all for the
most needed help!

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
Help me to create an ideal area for Gunnera
I have a hot dry yard, but I want to try growing Gunnera....
farslayr
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
can flame acanthus go in the center of rain garden?
I want plant a flame acanthus in my rain garden. Would...
lakedallasmary
Wattles in bloom?
Hey all. Are wattles blooming in your part of the country?...
wattle_Alex
Sponsored Products
Flat Chrome Heated Bathroom Towel Rack 39.5 inch x 19.5 inch
Hudson Reed
Cutlery Tray
CliqStudios Cabinets
Brass & Glass Divided Box
$18.99 | zulily
Augustus Aqua 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow
$76.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Ivory 3 ft. x 5 ft. Indoor
Home Depot
Good Morning Totoro Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
nuLOOM My Soft and Plush Multi Shag Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Refrax Stainless Steel 13-Light Azurite Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 32W x
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™