Growing begonias in ground, zone 10

bfernJanuary 24, 2013

i am planning to plant some shade loving plants in my garden and would like to include begonias. anybody in this forum growing begonias in ground? if so i would like suggestions on soil preparation and what has grown best for you. i live in sw florida, fort myers area.
thank you
fern

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

I know a lot of FL and CA folks grow begonias in the ground but any I grow in the ground have to be dug up in the fall before winter sets in (although some have come back from the roots the following spring if I missed some).

I've had good luck with a couple growing in the compost heap (I thought they were dead and tossed them and a couple of months later they have come back from the dead and formed a nice plant). From that observation, a porous mix seems ideal for growing them in the ground.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 5:14PM
Christof76

Hi, I"m running an horticultural enterprise in Germany, we plant Begonias in summer beds, especially a nwe orange Typ of Begonia elatior ("Peardrop") and a lght yellow Sort ("Buffy") are very resistable. Before planting we dig up the soil and add industrial compost with a long lasting fertilizer (Osmocote). We plant them also in very hot spots here, but I don"t know how they stand temps more than 35 C

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:00AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

There are many on the FL forum with incredible Begonia collections. You may want to check that out also, FL gardening is unlike any other part of the country. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia
Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery...
tkhooper
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™