Trade my red for your pink?

pink_petals(z6 PA)August 24, 2010

I have a bulb for a red amaryllis (Red Lion?) that I got from a friend about 3 years ago. It was part of a Smith and Hawken bulb kit. The bulb is about the size of a baseball or a little bigger, and has bloomed nicely for the last 2 years. Trouble is, I never really liked red very much--I always gravitate toward the pink or pink and white ones. I would esp. be interested in Neon Rose, Pink Surprise, Paris, Candy Floss , Estrella, San Remo, or Gervase. Anyone interested in trading?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Have you tried to pollinate your Red Lion? Do you know if it is a parent bulb or from another parent? I ended up with a red from a red and white as well as pine and white I don't keep track of names etc, I just enjoy them when they bloom and try to harvest the seeds. I would think your Red Lion would be dividing by the time it got that large. Happy hunting.
Paul

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 6:24PM
pink_petals(z6 PA)

Paul, I haven't advanced to that stage yet. For years I was in love with daylilies, and I saw how long it takes when you start them from seed!! But your idea is a good one if I ever have the time and patience to try it!!

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 8:53PM
pink_petals(z6 PA)

I'm so sorry, but I am going to retract this offer. I am quite new to amaryllis so I was reading past posts just to learn more about these plants and to enjoy the pics. On one of the posts someone talked about some red lines or spots on their leaves, and I recalled seeing something like that on 1 of my plants, but didn't really think anything of it. So I started looking up more info about pests and diseases.And when I checked my plants I saw that ALL of them have some red spots!!!Someone suggested Schultz 3in1 product which I have on hand, so I sprayed all of them. But are you supposed to take the bulb out of the pot and spray the whole bulb too?? Anyway I sure don't want to give someone an infected bulb. Sorry!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Komoriya's Oriental Lady
This is a new bulb that I purchased several weeks ago...
dondeldux
Charisma x Tinkerbell
Hi Everyone, In 2012 I sent some pollen from my original...
dondeldux
Obsession or Addiction
Every year I make a resolution; NO MORE AMARYLLIS BREEDING...
brigarif Khan
Why did amaryllis leaves fall to the side when i put them in new spot
I have an amaryllis that just got done flowering. i...
tlbean2004
Whites
I am fond of predominantly white Amaryllis. Some of...
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Belfior Contrast Buffet - IDI-13653
$351.92 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Diamond Bakhtiari Multi/ Red Wool Rug (10' Square)
Overstock.com
Candy Cane Baskets - Set of 4
$64.99 | Dot & Bo
6' Red Cedar American Sweetheart Porch Swing
Fifthroom.com
Costanza Pendant by Luceplan
$326.24 | Lumens
Area Rug: Classic Medallion Red/Beige 7' 7" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™