Mexican Lime Tree

ckr97October 23, 2007

A few days ago, I impulsively purchased a Mexican Lime Tree. I began doing some research on the tree after it was planted, and am confused as to exactly what kind of fruit it will bear.

The tag states: "This popular lime produces small, green, round fruit with thin skin and juicy, almost seedless fruit."

From my online search, it seems the Mexican Lime is basically another name for the Key Lime. IÂve also read itÂs an improved version with larger fruit. Yet other sites state the fruit is about the size of a tennis ball... ThatÂs awfully large for a lime!

The tree was purchased at Home Depot and was grown at Colorama Wholesale Nursery in California. Does anyone out there have a similar Mexican Lime? Exactly what kind of fruit can I expect to see?

My biggest fear is ending up with those tiny key limes available in local markets. My primary use will be juicing. I canÂt imagine how many of those 3/4" to 1" limes it would take to make a pitcher of limeade. :-(

I have lots of citrus, but this is my first lime. Any input from other lime growers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

There are two types of limes that grow well here in the low desert, the Mexican Lime (Key Lime or West Indian Lime) and the Persian Lime (Bearss Lime or Tahitian Lime).

The Mexican Lime is very frost sensitive, and frost protection is usually a must. It produces small (~1"), seedy fruit with a thin green rind that turns yellow when mature. The fruit is produced nearly year-round and usually drops from the tree when yellow.

The Persian Lime is the most common lime grown here. The fruit is small (~2") and nearly seedless. Most fruit becomes ripe in the winter, although small quantities may be produced year round. Once the fruit turns yellow it doesn't store well. The tree has dark green leaves and is less thorny than the Mexican Lime.

Why not call a local grower? Here is the contact information for Greenfield Citrus Nursery in Mesa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenfield Citrus Nursery

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
Anyone tried growing a true Cedar (Cedrus) in the valley?
I tried growing two deodor cedars a few years ago....
richsd
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™