bad luck with begonias and i love them

andreajoy(z9 sacramentoCA)February 8, 2005

for the past two years, i have started the hanging basket begonias, only to get a little teeny plant that dies in a month or two..

i had them in full shade...do they actually need a bit of sun? also, i fertilized regularly...i just don't know what i've done wrong..

~andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

Personally, I grow begonia in more sun. I grow them in filtered sun, or areas which get half day morning sun. I am not sure about your area, but full shade sounds too dark to me. Fertilize lightly, e.g. use 1/2 normal recommended dose on the lable, but fertilize more frequently instead. Also, make sure the soil is well draining, because begonias hate wet feet. If it is well draining, then make sure the pot/basket does not dry out, but is kept consistently moist. A good loose organic container planting mix is recommended.

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 12:31PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I agree with the suggestions above and would add--there's a standard saying about plants. More plants are 'killed with kindness' than with neglect. Your statement that you have bad luck with them and you love them makes me wonder if you're not being 'too good' to them. Too much water, too much fertilizer--try a little--but just a little!--neglect. Relax and enjoy them! Plants were growing long before we came along to mess with them. (Of course, some were dying too. I'm so much help.)

Bookmark   February 15, 2005 at 1:05AM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

Ditto to all the above.

I do have a question: How many plants/tubers are you putting in a basket? If you only put one and the basket is too big that could be the problem.

Also, don't fertilize a dry plant; wet it first. Fertilizing a dry plant can burn the roots. Check your potting mix to see if it already contains fertilizer. If it does, you may be over fertilizing.

Good luck,
Linda

Bookmark   February 15, 2005 at 2:53PM
kdjoergensen

In a 10" basket use one tuber. In a 12" basket use 1-2 tubers, in a 14" basket and larger use 3 tubers.

It is not a problem with only one plant in one large basket, except it may look a bit "empty".

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 12:31PM
seaecho1(SW CA)

Yep, let them get pretty dry - almost completely dry between waterings. Also, like was previously mentioned, you could be over fertilizing. I only fertilize once a month, at half strength. A lot of people think that if a little fertilizer is good, more is better! So not true. Too much will quickly kill a plant.

Randi

Bookmark   February 18, 2005 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
36" Venica Teak Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
Hampton Bay Fairchild Collection 2-Light Flush-Mount Sienna Fluorescent Fixture
$49.97 | Home Depot
Luck Adjustable Satin Nickel Curtain Rod
Overstock.com
Circle of Happiness Garden Stool
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Blake Deep Bronze Patina Entryway Chandelier
Lamps Plus