when is the best time to find tadpoles?

kc512March 20, 2009

I searched a local lake and stream for tadpoles last spring and summer without any luck. I am trying to find out when is the best time to look for them. I know there must be some in the stream because I have seen several full grown frogs there.

I have read another blog about buying tadpoles and the impact it can have on the environment. My thought was to get some water from the stream along with the tadpoles so that I can watch them develop and then release them back into their original environment. Any advice on whether or not this would work? I am not looking to harm either the tadpoles or the environment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

Where do you live? That is a big factor in when they spawn. Here in Utah there lay there eggs in late march and early april. We see tadpoles later that month. Just depends on temps.

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 10:21AM
kc512

Thanks for responding. I'm in Northern New Jersey. It's been pretty cold here lately so I don't think I would see them yet. At the same time, I'm afraid that I will miss my opportunity.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 3:44PM
rockguy(7a)

If you start looking early you will see the egg masses first. You can move these, just approximate the same conditions where they're found. They will hatch in a few days.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 4:35AM
wally_1936(8b)

When I lived in West Virginia I had to look in those little pools near a local stream. I have seem those pools so full you could hardly see the water. Early spring you will just have to keep looking and then you will know just when is a good time in your area, by keeping a little journal.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 8:02PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Woodfrogs are first here on LI. Then peepers and so on... We saw woodfrog eggmasses on a hike two weeks ago. Peepers are calling like mad now.

Try looking after heavy downpours... like today.

Swampwalker's Journal, David M. Carroll is a great book.

The Book of Swamp and Bog, John Eastman is another.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 3:54PM
curlyrebel(7)

Anyone have any pics of tadpole egg masses?
I picked up a couple of pieces of plant life and they have egg masses...Not sure if thet are tadpole or snail

Thanks Dennis

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:42PM
wally_1936(8b)

Don't have any pictures but they will be in the water not hanging on to any plant life. The eggs are almost transparent jelly like almost round in shape with a dark spot in the middle. When they get a little larger you will see a tail form on one end and a little later legs. To me it kind of reminds me of a very large bowl of the insides of a concord grape without the purple color all close together.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 9:52PM
atokadawn(7)

Here in Tn, they have already hatched.Some have even grow big enough to crawl out of the ponds.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
Flooded in Spring, Mowed in Summer
There is a field that is flooded in the Spring, then...
edlincoln
New To Bog Gardening
Hello Folks. I've got a small patch (approx. 8'x10')...
pauln
Water Garden - Eliminatng Cattails
I'm in need of some wise gardening advice. I have a...
Emund
Plants to soak up water?
I wasnt sure what forum to post this in so I posted...
greengoblin72
Sponsored Products
Precious Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$240.95 | Bellacor
Leucos | Lilith S 40 Pendant Light
$612.00 | YLighting
Reeded Appliance Pull with Decorative Center
Signature Hardware
16" Round Pure Black Granite Stone Bathroom Sink - RONDO SHADOW
Living'ROC
15711SS Kichler LED Submersible Accent Light
EnvironmentalLights.com