Do I have to use it???

Kennith(10b CA)March 24, 2005

Drainage!!! I am going to use a kiddie pool that is 8 inches deep. My bog is going to be soley a carnivorous bog garden and will be above ground. I have been told that I need at least 2 inches of drainge. I was recommended that I use perlite. I know that the drainage portion is to trap excess water and keep roots from rotting but will all the nuetrient from the soil leach away and go to the bottom of the drainage(depriving my plants)? Carnivorous plants really don't have large root systems and do not reach deep into the soil, so thier roots may not not be able to rot at the bottom if i don't use drainage. Still I am not sure if I should skip the drainage part. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slubberdegulion(z7 VA)

I'm a novice, but most carnivorous plants don't need rich soil (so nutrients leaching away aren't a problem). Also, from what I've read, some drainage would be good as it will help leach away salts so that they don't build up in the bog. Of course, too much drainage would be a problem too.

Good luck with it!

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 8:22PM
Kennith(10b CA)

Well the peat moss does have some nutrients that aids the plants to grow better. Even with out drainage the salt would still go to the bottom, right? So maybe I dont need drainage.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 9:55PM
slubberdegulion(z7 VA)

I replied via e-mail, hope it was of some help. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Duckweed in bog garden?
Can you put duckweed on very wet mud or does it have...
minxz
rotted logs for peat in bog garden
I have a non-working pond with a liner covered with...
kitasei
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
Ligularia tractor seat
I am looking for a Ligularia tractor seat plant, I...
stimey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™