Does anybody here grow strawberries?

agility_mom(z9 AZ)October 15, 2010

I would really like to grow some strawberries but every time I have tried, they die when it turns hot. So, does anyone have any tricks for growing them successfully?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kingkongos(Phoenix)

2 varieties seem to do ok here, Sequoia and Chandler. You have to get them in the ground early and then protect them with shade cloth when it starts getting hot. Mulch heavily and water well. I use pine needles. Still though, it doesn't guarantee you'll get them through our harsh summers.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:15PM
xica_da_silva

Hi agility mom,
I don't have much advice to add but wanted to say that I just planted a couple of strawberry plants for the first time so am also hoping they'll survive. They're in full sun in my back yard. The last few days of near-record heat have one of my strawberries a bit stressed already (a few crisp/crunchy leaves) but I think it will recover once the heat subsides. Strangely, the other strawberry seems nonplussed, in spite of its leaves being much more sprawled out and seemingly exposed. I guess plants, too, can be such individuals!

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:34PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

Summer: sun until just after mid-day and all is well
Now that it's cooling off, full sun is ok ...

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 4:49AM
agility_mom(z9 AZ)

I'll give it another try. Maybe either strawberry pots so that I can move them when it heats up or shade cloth for the summer months. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 1:58PM
azbookworm

Starting a strawberry patch. How many plants have you planted? To feed a family of 4? Figured I will be dedicating some of my raised garden just for strawberries.

Do you shade cloth or keep exposed to summer sun?

Thanks

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 3:52PM
luvkuku

I grew a bunch of strawberry plants in a dedicated patio bed a few years ago. I had to keep them covered with fruit tree netting to keep the birds and lizards off, and that also seemed to help shade them in the hot part of the day. I planted in early Feb and harvested from March to June, then everything died regardless. I want to do it again, because they were the best strawberries I ever tasted. My DH has promised to build me a greenhouse with materials that the former owner of our place left, but I am sure it wont be ready to go until maybe this fall. So no strawberries this year for me, unless I plant a few pots on the screened porch. Those I can take inside when the heat is really blazing. I live outside Buckeye.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™