Bog Plants for Zone 5

jdpondkeeperMarch 23, 2009

Hi folks, I have 30 sq ft area of my yard that floods in heavy rain. Considering a bog garden there, but I'm at noob. Any good suggestions for zone 5 plants? Other things nearby are elephant hastas, tulips, crocus.

Thanks,

JD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

For plants that like wet feet there are many, Hibiscus, Astilbe, Cardinal Lobelia, Siberina Iris and many other Iris as well, Globe flower. that is a start for you. Hope it helps.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 9:31PM
goodkarma_(5b)

Marsh Marigold,Rushes,Marsh Mallow,water forget me nots. I strongly caution against Globe Flower. I bought it home years ago. Then thousand plants later......I had to cover a whole section of my yard with epdm liner to get rid of it....and still struggle to get rid of it.

Regards,
Lisa

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 9:17PM
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

Don't know exactly where in Zone 5 you are but you might want to look into any of the Pitcher Plants. They all love it wet and sunny. I have a couple in a bog section of our pond that are spectacular. Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnock' is a true beauty to behold when in flower or not. I purchased mine at the New England Wildflower Society in Massachusetts. I do not believe they do mailorder but if you "google" Pitcher plants there are a number of sites that they can be had at a fairly reasonable price. Good Luck

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
rotted logs for peat in bog garden
I have a non-working pond with a liner covered with...
kitasei
Plants to soak up water?
I wasnt sure what forum to post this in so I posted...
greengoblin72
Source for Gunnera in Zone 10?
Looking to install Gunnera plants at the pond. Don't...
beverlyfla
Anyone Growing Butterbur?
I've just introduced this plant (petasites hybridus)...
Dirty_Knees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™