Kiddie Pool Bog Garden Progress Rpt

oldunclemarc(z6 CT)March 28, 2009

The kiddie pool garden I dug in October sat fallow though the long CT winter and I'm ready to start working on my shopping list. I finally figured out how to post pictures, so here are the pics I made in October when I started this project and made my first post on October 10 of '08.

View of the site.

Closer view IÂm facing South now.

Diggin the hole (that grass was niceÂI transplanted it).

A perfect fit (yupÂthatÂs my CT Âdirt-axe in the foreground).

Voila. Filled with peat/sand mixture, and ready for a wet, rainy, snowy, icy, Westport winter. See you in Spring Â09!

These pics were taken at roughly 4:30pm. That site gets sun all day, but because of the high water table and our proximity to wetland, it stays wet all summer. If you played bocce out there now (March), youÂd lose your palino.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
radioron

Gee, this is interesting. About 4 years ago I built three small, shallow bogs with tough plastic sheets. I dug trenches about 2 feet deep. I also punched holes about 12 inches from the bottom. I then filled them with a peat and soil mixture. Now this worked well for about two years but then invasive plants started growing. I'm sure the sheets have been punctured and the water no longer collects. Your photos have spurred me onto redig the holes(deeper) and not punch holes in the sheeting. When working the bogs provided most interesting plants. Also this time I shall add sand.R squared

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldunclemarc(z6 CT)

Thank you R2. I drilled holes at about 6 in. intervals and about 3 or 4 inches from the top lip. I'm getting really jacked to start populating it. My only fear at this point is the deer. They are just savage eaters in this part of the world. Even stuff everyone says they avoid like rhodo's, azelea, hosta....gone! If they munch my bog plants I'm just going to be crushed.
Think I should transplant some skunk cabbage or ferns to the perimeter area to nice it up?

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
New To Bog Gardening
Hello Folks. I've got a small patch (approx. 8'x10')...
pauln
newbie bog container garden questions
I have an old sink that I would like to set in the...
phf13
Plants that like wet feet
I'm a novice gardener with what would appear to be...
Maddie.123
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
Source for Gunnera in Zone 10?
Looking to install Gunnera plants at the pond. Don't...
beverlyfla
Sponsored Products
Born in Sweden Watering Can - Born in Sweden
$79.95 | HORNE
Carson 30 in. Sonnet Wind Chime - To Everything There is a Season - 62959
$50.99 | Hayneedle
Monarch Specialties I 8075 Dark Brown Leather-Look Club Chair
Beyond Stores
Cedar Outdoor Christmas Tree in Glossy Black Planter Christmas Decor
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Tiffany Style Sunflower Hanging Lamp
Overstock.com