Is this an amarilla?

svanessa(9/SoCal)August 6, 2014

Hi Everyone, Attached is a photo of my friends plant. We are trying to ID it. I thought it was an amarilla of some sort. If not does anyone recognize it?
Thanks,
Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

It's in the family!! Looks like a Rain Lily to me (see blog link). How big are those blooms, really? An inch or so? They look huge in the photo!
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant Meyer blog Re: Rain Lily

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:19PM
haweha

Yes, it is "at least" one Amaryllid, from the American clade of Amaryllids, and I presume it is Habranthus robustus. I ,like the "4+4" flower on the right side, this happens but not all-too often, and which might produce a Seed Pod in the shape of a "Bishops Head Cover" if you pollinate. However, you will not receive seedlings which will reveal this variation more often than the parent. Great capture, thank you!

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 3:19

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 3:16AM
jodik_gw

I would concur... more commonly known as Rain Lilies, they're lovely little flowers for the gardens of warmer climes, as they are tender. I have some potted, and they bloom in spring. I really like the pink, and the size of the plants!

Very nice photo!

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 7:41AM
svanessa(9/SoCal)

Rain lilies! I never heard of them before. Thank you all for your ID. I will definitely research them further. Glad you liked the photo too. :-)

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 12:45PM
jodik_gw

Habranthus and Zephyranthes, both commonly known as "Rain Lilies", come in wonderful pinks, yellows, and whites... they're lovely little flowers for the front of a border, or tucked in among a ground cover, or anywhere you might want a little extra color... when the rains come and they push up their little shoots!

Even in pots, if you live in a colder gardening zone, they are very nice to have! I've a pot with pinks, and one with young whites. I'm still working on acquiring some yellow bulbs... one of these days...

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:05PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

There are peach-colored blooms too!
K

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Hippeastrum correiense
From Komoriya.. Sooo hopeful for the blooms.. What...
radhavall
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™