When to separate amaryllis bulbs?

southerncalAugust 12, 2013

Hi,

When is the best time to separate amaryllis bulbs?

I have one plant that has 3 siblings that I would like to place in their own container.

At present, the plant has at least ten long green leaves.

Am I correct that the best time to separate the bulbs is after the flowers and stalks have been cut and the leaves have yellowed and been removed?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

If you can wait until the bulb is dormant, splitting them will be less stressful on everyone. When you say the plant has 10 leaves, do you mean the mother bulb? When you split the bulbs, make sure that you wait until the offsets have nice healthy root systems of their own.

Hippeastrum can handle a lot. If you split them at the peak of growing season, there might be a little setback, which you wouldn't see if the bulb was dormant. If you can wait just another couple of months, I would...but it will be fine whichever decision you make. Good luck! K

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:03AM
southerncal

kaboehm,

Thank you for your advice.

I tried searching on the Internet for an explanation of when you can tell that an amaryllis bulb is "dormant".... and really couldn't find any detailed information or description of what the plant should look like, nor season of the year.

How can one tell when an amaryllis is "dormant".

Thanks.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:08PM

If you read the FAQ, you should have a better understanding of dormancy and the changes throughout the year. BUT, I am guess that you have the bulbs in 1 pot, so you can force dormancy by placing the pot on it's side in late August/early September so that you stop watering it. Let the leaves die back. When they are are brown and dry, cut them back to the neck of the bulb and .....ta da....dormancy. Great time to split the bulbs would probably be Oct/Nov...and the mother bulb should bloom again for you in the spring. Even the offsets will if they are big enough.
K

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 5:57PM
southerncal

kaboehm,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation of how to place an amaryllis in "dormancy".

I'll follow your directions and make a future post of the results.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 9:24PM

I have a friend in Irvine. The prior method works for her. Trick is to stop watering. You could always leave them upright and put them somewhere where they won't get rain or sprinkler water. Tipping the pot is just a good way to accomplish the same without having to move them.
K

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Heir-loomed Amaryllis Seeds & Offsets
My grandmother has an Amaryllis that's a speckled salmon...
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
RED BLOTCH?
I noticed the other day that a new amaryllis bulb that...
chris_p1
My new addition ... Voodoo
Can someone please tell me about voodoo? Is it a good...
jessiann63
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
Success at last
I love this 5 inches flower I have been working on...
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Antique Bulb & Iris Wall Hanging
| Dot & Bo
'Grandma Camp' Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Textured Architectural Bronze Up/Down Accent Light
$88.20 | Bellacor
Fambuena | Dress Rectangular Wall Sconce
$411.20 | YLighting
11 lights Traditional Style Frosted Glass Chandelier with Copper base
ParrotUncle
Outdoor Copper Fire Pit
Grandin Road
Garden Drive Jewelry Box
$40.00 | Horchow
Hampton Bay Posts Malford Post-Mount Outdoor Dark Rubbed Bronze Lantern HD490708
$89.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™