Begonias Albo-picta and Odorata alba?

chloeashaFebruary 19, 2013

hi all! Can anyone tell me about these? I'm looking at them and mostly trying to decide if I really need both because they are so vastly different, or just one. I mainly like the idea of scent for B. odorata var. alba-- and the look of the other. Online what i checked out so far lists them as being similar heights and widths. Does one bloom more than the other? One better for indoor-outdoor use than the other? I don't have a greenhouse, so it will need to be something that enjoys (read tolerates well) indoor winters. Thanks!

PS-- random aside-- is there a forum here where most begoniacs look for trades or is the exchange here more or less it? I noticed it was kind of dead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gree_knees(6a)

I have albo picta but not the odorata. It gets treated more like a succulent than a begonia and only goes out in summer. It branches, sends up basal canes and blooms prolifically from spring to fall and in winter when I can fit it under the grow lights.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:21PM
chloeasha

Thanks! does it get very big?

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:05AM
gree_knees(6a)

It grows to around 2 feet but then tends to spread and to widen instead of getting much taller. I think it would be a great begonia for you but I'd love to have an odorata too. I get a lot of joy burying my nose in a fragrant bunch of flowers. Anita

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:41PM
chloeasha

I know! I've seen varying reports on its actual fragrance though, which makes me more hesitant about it.

Thanks for the information about the height and spread of albo-picta. That helps me while I am thinking about what to put where and how it would fit overall in the scheme of begonias :)

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
Small Red Rex
I have this remnant of a plant I bought at Lowes...it...
suyoder
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™