Starting indoor. Timing?

EGO45(6bCT)February 28, 2005

After being successful with begonias last year I went crazy and just bought about 50 different crispa, non-stop and double begonias. Plus I have about 10 overwintered from the last year.

When I should start them indoor if last frost date here in the middle-end of April? I forgot when did I start them last year, but remember that they didn't bloom for me till mid-June. I'd prefer to not lose any blooming time if that is possible.

Last year I started each tuber in individual 4" pot and then transplanted in larger mixed containers in quantities that were appropriate. Everything was working as a charm and I'll continue to do so, but this year I'd need to put some of them in the ground.

Anything special I should know about 'begonias in the ground'?

Thank you for reading such long post. I'll try to make it up by posting some last year pictures:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

Remember to water the begonias in the ground (no kidding, I keep forgetting). Count on 13 weeks from starting until flowering to be safe. I have found that keeping begonias indoors more than 6-8 weeks are difficult (they become too large)

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 10:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EGO45(6bCT)

Kenneth, thanks for reply.
Those time guidelines you provided are extremely helpfull.
Let me think out loud my plan and please correct me if I'm too agressive or plain wrong in my assumptions.

13 weeks from now brings us to the end of May-beginning of June, which would mean roughly 4 week of safe (frost free) growing outdoor from beginning of May. 13-4=9. That means that I should keep them 'frost protected' for 8-9 weeks i.e. whole March and April. In my particular case it's very doable: I could start them in square 4" or round 3 1/2" pots in my utility (65-70F warm, bright, but no direct sun light) room for 4-5 weeks. In April I could transfer them into unheated, but insulated storage room where even in a winter temperature rarely goes below 45F and stays in a 60's even in a hottest summers. Room is relatively dark, but I could keep fluorescent lights on 24/7 if necessary. At the same time I could start transfering some of them into 'to be a summer home' large containers similar to those on a pictures above, but still keep them in that room as I will not have a space restrictions there at that time.
Begonias destined to be 'in ground plants' could be replanted in larger (1-2G) pots as they would become too large.
Would it work?
I have an itchy fingers :-))
George

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
Small Red Rex
I have this remnant of a plant I bought at Lowes...it...
suyoder
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Anyone Know Anything About 'Phoes Chloe' ?
I've had it for at least 8 years - it died back during...
westy1941
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™