RE: new plant and old ones too

tiarella(7b)August 11, 2011

Over the past winter I purchased and grew about 16 amaryllis bulbs and they mostly flowered but as I put them outdoors for the summer on a quarter round plant stand I noticed various disease signs like red blotches and irregular lines and colorless blotches in the leaves so after much inner turmoil I discarded about half of them! I know a little bit more, like what to avoid in buying bulbs but that is no promise that any new bulbs will be nonvirused. I looked on a local site that says to avoid wetting the nose of bulb to discourage red blotch. I won't buy anything that shows signs of rot.

Having said all this, is it worthwhile to still grow them?! Yesssss! I bought some seedling bulbs from a friend who is a orchid grower and also like the unusual in plants. He got the seeds from a friend and says they are a species type like papilio. My papilio has not bloomed so who knows what will happen!? You don't know unless you try. I will buy more bulbs this winter but try to be more selective in my choices.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Glad you didn't give up. Life offers very few guarantees. I have very healthy $2 bulbs and got burned on $20 bulbs. One day at a time...red blotches are easier to treat...virus can't be treated that we know of at this point.
K

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
H. Santos
My 3, H. Santos, bulbs all have 2 scapes and appear...
jimnpa (6a PA USA)
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Hippeastrum correiense
From Komoriya.. Sooo hopeful for the blooms.. What...
radhavall
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Hippeastrum calyptratum
Hi all, I will be getting seeds from Mauro for H. calyptratum...
radhavall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™