stolen pics on ebay....how to solve?

bluebonsai101(6a PA)August 18, 2010

Hi All, I have not posted in a long time, but I know some of you here have had this problem so wanted to see how you solved it. I just saw that some loser that is totally incapable of actually growing a plant decided to use one of my pics to sell on ebay. I told him to steal someone elses pics and he said that he could take anything he wants because it is on the internet. I told him he should check out copyright law because he was obviously clueless on that as well. I have asked a couple of other people i know how they went about suing the thieves and how they convinced ebay to help protect my copyright, but wanted to ask here as well. A part of me would like to bankrupt the moron, but would likely be happy getting him to realize he is a thief. I changed all my albums on PhotoBucket to Private, but not sure if that actually helps keeping people from stealing my pics....with any luck I've made it so people can no longer look at my pics....I had it that way for a long time, but changed it when my heart warmed.....guess I learned my lesson :o) Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Dan, contact a lawyer. If they think you have a case, they'll gladly fight for you and take 30% of your award/settlement/judgement. I was able to get some great compensation from an idiot that stole an underwater photo of mine for use in their printed catalog, etc. GO FOR IT!
Kristi

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:27PM
pirhan

Hey there,

I would contact eBay directly as this is against their policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

You can also watermark your images if you are going to post them publicly:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/f/watermark.htm

Hope that helps!

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:01PM
joshy46013

Dan,

Who is stealing your pictures? I want to make sure I DON'T order from them!

Josh

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:11PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

The guy took down the pics after a couple of e-mails explaining to him how copyright works and how expensive his lawyer was going to be. I also got the VERO Program form from some friends that ebay uses to explicitly deal with copyright infringement so I am ready for next time!!

I hate watermarks on pics to be honest as they ruin the pic for anyone that wants to enjoy it and they can be removed without that much difficulty by anyone that has some reasonable skills using Photoshop or similar programs. Hopefully, by making my pics private on PhotoBucket people can not directly look at them....sort of a shame it comes to this, but greedy people will always try to cheat others out of their work :o) Dan

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Seeds from Argentina
Yes they are twins but the seedlings have the leaf...
orchids_grower_1946
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™