Review on Gaint Book by Baker

CherylGeorgeJune 9, 2003

I am considering purchasing a book called "Giant Book of Garden Solutions" by Jerry Baker. IF anyone has any thoughts or evaluations of this or any other gardening book I would be most appreciative. I am interested in developing some flower gardens around the house and know that I will face a number of challenges to which the advertising for this book seems to offer solutions.

Thanking you in advance.

CG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oneduck55(SC 7)

I don't have that one but I do have several of his other books like backyard problem solving and Flower power. Between these two books he has helped me alot. I am a 1st time gardener and knew nothing much about it. I find his little tidbits of info and his recipes to be of great help. oneduck55

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

As you become a well seasoned gardener, you'll find that Jerry's recipes and advice are based on good thought with a lot of hokus pokus mixed in. My assessment is from reading about half of his stuff. Much of his advice works well, some just makes you feel good. And of course he presents his findings as if he invented them all. I have really found nothing that can hurt except this:

Don't use so much soap! This weekly washing of your yard with a soap solution is bad. Soap can work on breaking down the cuticle layer that protects leaves from dessication. Use it to kill bugs, as a surfactant (spreader/sticker) for natural and chemical pesticides, but not for a simple periodic washdown.

Rick

P.S. I do have a B.S. degree in horticulture, and have been working in its various facets for 25 years.

Bookmark   August 11, 2004 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Have planters need books
I recently switched my major to horticulture, and am...
Paul.UKWILDCAT
antique "maund's botanic garden auctarium and flower re
Hello all. I am selling a very old copy of "MAUND'S...
maundfan
Have: FREE book for review
Hi everyone, I wrote a book on tropical gardening and...
statenislandpalm7a
HAVE: Lots of Books
Have: Home Orchid Growing by Rebecca Tyson Northen...
mamabear
Horticulture
I am looking to purchase (or perhaps you know of someone...
bernadette_gourder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™