Illumination begonia from seed

patreesh(5)March 24, 2011

Hi, Has anyone started these from seed? This is the first time I've tried growing these from seed. I didn't sow mine until March 12th and know I should've done it earlier. I'm just beginning to see germination. How long might it take from germination until bloom? Any information would be most helpful!

Patreesh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woebegonia

I grow a few tuberhybrida from seed every year, starting no later than the end of December because my gh is closed during the coldest part of winter and I have to use my crowded light garden to keep them going after germination. I think you have some work cut out for you and time to try and make up. Make sure they are getting good light, at least l2 or more hours a day, any less and they may go dormant/die as they are tuberous and need long days. Baby them along, feed a little after the true leaves come in, cross your fingers and keep your eyes open. I can't think of any more cliches so will just say even if they don't make plants this year there should be tiny tubers this fall and you can I hope store them and try and start them by next December.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™