Good source for Angel Wings?

solstice98(9b/Orlando)March 26, 2006

Angel Wing begonias have done very well in my yard and I'm ready to branch out past the few varieties I've found at local nurseries. Is there an internet or mail order company that specializes in begonias? I know there are dozens of varieties but I just can't find them!

Thanks for your help,

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GrowHappy(z7 MD)

Kate, try Logees. They have several varieties of canes. You can also try Palm Hammock Orchid Estates(PHOE). You can mail order from both, but Logee's will probably deliver the best mail order service.

GH

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 7:01PM
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

I got brave and ordered a packet of mixed Begonia species from Mr. Fothergill's. Turns out they aren't difficult to germinate at all, as long as you sprinkle the seed on top of the seed-starting mix, and put the pot in one of those "germinator" setups with a clear dome, plant lights and a heat mat. Best of all, it's been wonderful fun.

You could also try Kartuz Greenhouses in Vista, CA, but expect an 8-week wait from the time you place your order until you receive it. I love the things I got from them.

Lisa

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 3:22PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

You can also get them from Lauray of Salisbury and Glasshouse Works (if I got that name right--seems like there might be another 'e' in there.) I've had wonderful experiences from Lauray, tho' I think I read someone who didn't, and I've never ordered from Glasshouse Works but mean to. They, like Kartuz, are reputed to be very slow. They do some hybridizing and I think are quite serious about their begonias. Oh--Lauray will sell you cuttings for half the catalog price with many begonias and other wonderful things. I don't know if they've improved, but the last time I ordered from Kartuz they only sent about half my order, and substituted about half of what they sent. And they had plenty of time to propagate to order! I was not pleased.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™